Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

P.F. Chang Ain't Got Nothin' on me...

Well yeah they do. I am notorious for making TERRIBLE homemade Chinese food. TERRIBLE.
I think it's because I try to make them low-cal/low-fat and you just can't do that with Honey Seared Chicken. (This is also why Brownies and I have a bad relationship. Don't use the 'lower fat' recipe on the side of the box- they are BROWNIES for goodness sake, they're supposed to be bad for you!)

Ok, so here is a recipe for P.F. Chang's Lettuce Wraps that is lower fat/cal and it's delicious! I left out the Peanut Butter/Peanuts since Avery is allergic to the glorious stuff- soy nut butter would have been a good sub, but I was out. I'd also add some finely chopped mushrooms and maybe some Hosin sauce, but maybe I should just stick to the recipe considering my history with Chinese food recipe modifications...

I also made Nutella Cookies- only 4 ingredients, and you can tell. Not too super in my opinion, funny texture. Avery LOVES them, so I might make them again in a pinch. Personally, I'd rather have a 9 ingredient cookie (i.e. Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip)

P.F. Chang Lettuce Wraps on a Diet

1lb ground chicken breast (I ground my own, thanks ;) )
1/2 medium onion, minced
salt & pepper, a dash of each
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 inch knob fresh ginger, peeled & minced
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
2 1/2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 Tablespoon water
1 Tablespoon natural peanut butter
1/2 Tablespoon honey
1 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce (or more if you like it hotter)
dash of fresh pepper
3 green onions, chopped
1/2-8oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained & chopped
1/4 cup peanuts, chopped
10-12 large butter lettuce leaves, rinsed and patted dry

Directions:
1. Heat a large, non-stick skillet on high. Add chicken, onion, salt & pepper, and cook until chicken is nearly done, stirring often to break up the meat. Add in minced garlic and ginger, and continue cooking until chicken is no longer pink.
2. Meanwhile, in a microwave safe bowl, combine sesame oil, soy sauce, water, peanut butter, honey, rice vinegar, chili garlic sauce and pepper. Microwave for 20 seconds, then stir until smooth. Add into the skillet and stir to combine.
3. Add green onion and water chestnuts into the skillet then cook for 1-2 minutes until the onions are soft and the water chestnuts are heated through.
4. Scoop into lettuce and EAT!

Nutella Cookies

1 cup Nutella
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Blend all ingredients together well. Form into 1″ balls. Place on a cookie sheet. Press down firmly with the bottom of a glass dusted with flour. Bake 7-8 minutes or until set. Cool.

1 comment:

  1. Wesley loved the Nutella Cookies! It was so good to see you even though it was a short visit - hope you and Blake enjoyed your date night!

    ReplyDelete