Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

I am the King of Wishful Thinking...

Not familiar with this awesome song? Really? No? It's probably mostly famously (and only) known for being in the opening of Pretty Woman when Edward is driving around Hollywood after his girlfriend Jessica dumps him. The song is epic. No one seems to agree with me on this. I don't know, I really like the beat, tempo (it's a 90's song, tempo was a good thing.). Anyway, enough about my terrible taste in music- please don't judge me based on my playlists.

But there is a line in the song that I love: "I refuse to give into my blues/ that's not how it's gonna to be."I am rapidly approaching my 30th Birthday. Like, in four days. So, naturally I've spent some time lately reflecting on my last thirty years. I have faced birthday this very indifferently- some days it's no big deal, bring it on...other days a little blue about it. Now, don't start preaching "Thirty isn't old. You wait until ___!" I know, I know. It isn't old, but to a twenty-something, becoming a thirty-something is a little frightening. There is something about your 20's that's very magical. Life is just beginning, maybe you get married, put all you have into your career, start a family, travel. You're beautiful, you can get away with low rise jeans and wearing frat t-shirts.
What's left for my thirty's? I'll be too old and weak to enjoy life?!?! But, I have faith in that thirtysomething I'm about to become. I'm am not the old lady the 18 year old I was thought the 30 year old me would be.
I feel (and look ;) ) 19.
That's all it's about right? How old you do let yourself feel? I'm going to embrace checking the 30-39 age boxes, no longer getting carded, and the aching back I occasionally wake up with. If 60 is the new 40, then 30 is the new 10 right? I'm hopeful, wishful if you will, that in my 30's I'll only get better, wiser, more comfortable in my own skin.

To finish with a line from a great song: "I'll get over you 20's, I know I will. I'll pretend my ship's not sinking. 'Cause I'm the King of Wishful Thinking"...

1 comment:

  1. Somehow I've just found your blog so I'm reading some old entries :) I was the EXACT same way about turning 30! I felt so weird being sad about it when other people acted like it was no big deal, but for me it was all about how the BIG 20s were over, after all those huge life events and milestones...so now it's kind of like "ok, what now?" Life goes on I guess! :)

    ReplyDelete