Pages

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Potty Mouth



This picture has nothing to do with this post, but it's cute. This is from Easter morning. I love that Avery is dressing herself these days and she refuses to wear pants. For the last two weeks, she refuses to wear anything but dresses. But I digress...

This post falls under the "Adventure in Bad Parenting" and "funny things that come out of my daughter's mouth" headings.

Last Sunday afternoon I had a VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL meeting- I'm the preschool recreation leader.
Remember this, there's some irony in it.

Blake was on call the night before, so he was exhausted and napping. Both kids were napping (RARE) when I left.

I went to my meeting and came home. Everyone was up having an afternoon snack. Avery was coloring. All was well. I was pleased.

I sat down and asked how long everyone had been up? Everyone happy? What are we going to do this afternoon?
We chatted for a minute and then Blake says (rather dryly) "You'll never believe what your daughter said."

Oh no.

He told me that ever so sweetly she had woken up from her nap, come into our room and snuggled up next to him. Then Will started babbling across the monitor. She sat up and looked at it and said "Dammit, Daddy, Will's awake."
He asked her what she said, and very matter-of-factly she repeated herself- dammit included.

Oh Fudge...

I asked if he scolded her? Put her in time out? No, he didn't he said. He was too surprised. But I'm pretty sure the thought occurred to him to put me in time out.

This word she could only hear one place. I admit it's my profanity of choice. I don't say it often, but when sleeping babies wake prematurely this is a time I mumble it under my breath.

How quickly we forget what little sponges they are. Even when we think we are mumbling.

So, I've resolved to not saying or mumbling it...or anything else I don't want my sweet Avery repeating. You can certainly feel safe your child will not come home from VBS saying "Dammit, that recreation leader is fun!"

1 comment:

  1. Dammit, girl, you are so funny - I miss you! We must hang out soon!

    ReplyDelete